BAZAAR

When I was a little girl and should have been reading Seventeen, I was drooling over the glossy pages of Bazaar. Since then, after having been schooled in graduate fashion studies, and as the result of my own personal research, I appreciate the publication for three things: it's longevity (around since 1867, it's America's first fashion magazine), creative edge (has fearlessly collaborated with some of the greatest artists and photographers in recent history: Diane Arbus, Alexey Brodovitch, Andy Warhol, Martin Munkácsi), and daring editorials (the first action photographs to depict fashion were published in Bazaar).

I love this cover of the magazine from October 3, 1868. Most likely because I'm somehow always drawn to illustrations and photographs of hairpieces, ie. this Lorna Simpson.

Wigs II, 1996-2006, Waterless lithographs on felt.

No comments: